Monday, April 8, 2013

Review: Furious

FURIOUS
Jill Wolfson
Paranormal Young Adult
336 pages
Henry Holt and Co.
Available April 16th
Received from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
Three high school girls become the avenging Furies of Greek legend.

We were only three angry girls, to begin with. Alix, the hot-tempered surfer chick; Stephanie, the tree-hugging activist; and me, Meg, the quiet foster kid, the one who never quite fit in. We hardly knew each other, but each of us nurtured a burning anger: at the jerks in our class, at our disappointing parents, at the whole flawed, unjust world.

We were only three angry girls, simmering uselessly in our ocean-side California town, until one day a mysterious, beautiful classmate named Ambrosia taught us what else we could be: Powerful. Deadly. Furious.


MY THOUGHTS
Furious is a tale that beautifully mixes light and dark, casting a spotlight on three young women so we're able to see their features fully in the brilliance but at the same time drawing our attention to the shadows that result from such illumination; white and black at at first holding firm the line between them before eventually bleeding together into gray. While we often snort out a laugh at protagonist Meg’s relationship with best friend Raymond–the two of them providing some much-appreciated humor throughout–it is at times a challenging read, watching as a small taste of power creates a full blown addiction something that makes our hearts beat to a rhythm of pain. The scales of justice ever-so-slowly begin to melt in the face of Meg, Stephanie, and Alix’s anger, liquefying and reshaping into an iron fist of revenge, and we can do nothing but sit helplessly by and hope this story has a better ending than so very many of the original Greek myths.

Meg is an easy-to-like young woman, her recounting of several humiliating events right off the bat bringing a smile to our face as she immediately endears herself to us with her social awkwardness. We only come to care for her more as her struggles with her current foster home are revealed, and she solidifies our affection with her ability to still approach life with humor despite the seriousness of her circumstances. Her sweet nature and quick-to-laugh personality make witnessing her transformation into a vengeful dispenser of so-called justice all the more difficult, our mouths opening repeatedly to scream at her the mistakes she's making before snapping shut with painful force knowing she won't be able to hear us.

There is a tiny spark of romance threaded through this tale, Meg’s desire for a certain boy a catalyst for her Fury transformation, but the main focus is on the three young women themselves and the questions their actions raise. What starts out innocently enough with a select few people quite frankly getting what’s coming to them quickly escalates, the line between right and wrong no longer clearly delineated as the desire to punish blinds the girls to everything but the flaws of the people around them, with forgiveness unable to stand a chance in the face unadulterated anger. The girls’ transformations, both physically and emotionally, brings into stark relief how quickly and easily revenge can get out of hand, and how even the smallest of retaliations can open a Pandora’s Box that can never again be closed.

Though the final showdown is unfortunately over fairly quickly, one of the highlights of this story is the fact that the ramifications of Meg’s actions are not simply swept under the rug, the relationships she damages not magically fixed and wrapped up in a pretty bow, instead we get to see a glimpse–albeit a brief one–of the scars left when she tore her world to shreds. All in all Furious is an enjoyable tale, humor and the dark gravity of revenge combining with a myriad of moral questions to keep our minds fully engaged from beginning to end.

Rating: 4/5


More information on Jill and her books:

41 comments:

  1. Lovely review as always. The Furies along with Greek mythology is a trend lately. It looks good although I can't decide if it stands out enough to catch my attention.

    I have a really dumb question...how long have you had this blog background - the grainy wood look with the blue flowers? I've never noticed it before. Or perhaps I have and I've forgotten. Weird because I pull up your posts every day so I can comment rather than just reading it on my Google Reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm such a huge fan of Greek mythology so this trend works well for me:)

      And I've had this background for maybe a month or so? I can't remember exactly, but at least that long:)

      Delete
  2. Interesting... I told you that I started to read this book like 3 times and never really got into it.. I can't even say what bothered me only that I didn't connect. Now that I see how much you liked it I might give it another try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, we chatted about this one. You said you had just read Vengeance Bound, and I think a lot of what I think about a book is based on what I've read just before it, so maybe this one will work better for you now that you haven't read a similar story to compare it to.

      Delete
  3. I've heard mixed things for this one, but since you liked it, I think I'll have to look into it again. The characters seem like a highlight in the story! I'm happy to see that they're endearing and easily lovable. I'm a little nervous about the abrupt ending because I HATE when things are rushed. Hopefully when I read it, I'll disagree with you on that account. ;) Beautif review as always, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought this was just an entertaining read. Not mind-blowing, but fun and I enjoyed the characters:) I'll be interested to see what you think Jen!

      Delete
  4. Hm, I just reviewed a book about the Furies that possessed a girl and she exacted revenge, though not really by choice. Still it was devastating. I'm thinking I might have had enough of the Furies for awhile. You don't mention much about the other characters. Did they have much depth? And I don't like a rushed ending or one that's tied up in a bow. I like a solid ending but I don't want everything tucked in so I don't wonder after I've closed the book. You seem to have really liked it, but I feel like I just read this book. Great review!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it Vengeance Bound that you read? Danny had just read that and then tried to read this one and struggled a bit, so maybe you should wait to pick this one up. I wouldn't say any of the characters were overly complex, but I liked all of them and did feel connected:)

      Delete
  5. Furious reminds me of Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian, although the revenge the girls had in mind in that book seems minor on comparison to these girls! Also these girls seem so fierce! Great review Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that one, but I imagine they're fairly similar, though I'm sure the paranormal element of this one is a little more prominent. I liked this one, I know a lot of people didn't, but I just had fun reading it:)

      Delete
  6. Ooooh. This sounds very intriguing, Jenny. I like light and dark mixed together. I can even handle a wee bit of romance. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I'm all MORE ROMANCE, but I really liked how it was handled in this one, especially the end. Things didn't turn out how I expected and I kind of liked that.

      Delete
  7. oh, those girls look so furious. (lol) Im so glad you still review the YA stuff, it keeps me up to date on the latest books....:)Although I cant even remember the last one I read...;(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blog has sort of turned into a mostly YA blog, now I read all my adult stuff as fun books rather than review books. I think that helps keep the funks at bay:)

      Delete
  8. That cover is INSANE. Wow. Those girls look, well, furious.

    There are so many books coming out, and I hadn't heard much about this one, so I'm so glad you reviewed it! It sounds like a kick ass book, and definitely something I'd enjoy! Thanks, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't they know? And they are definitely righteously pissed off:) I really liked this one, I think you would too Hannah!

      Delete
  9. I love that the focus of the book is one the 3 girls and not the romance. I also love how you described the book because it simply makes me want to grab the book right away and read it. The premise sounds pretty fantastic. Glad that you enjoyed Furious, Jenny!
    Definitely getting a copy when this comes out after reading your gorgeous review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the focus on the 3 girls too, and how their revenge starts out so small (and I'm sorry, but the people they take revenge on initially deserve to be knocked down a peg or two) and then turns into something they can no longer control. It was a fascinating progression.

      Delete
  10. I am so relieved that this one sounds so good in your review. I have been really nervous about it after reading Vengeance Bound (another one about Furies) and not liking it at all. This sounds like it has some great characters and the perfect touch of romance. Fabulous review, Jenny! (I always accidentally spell your name Jenni and have to change it!) >.<

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm loving all of these books based on Greek mythology. I've never read a book that focuses on The Furies, so I will have to check this out. I like how this book brings up questions regarding morality and revenge....thanks for the great review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad that you reviewed this one, I have been debating on whether to get it and I think after reading your review I definitely will. I think I like that this one isn't a fluff read, that it is sort of dark at times but has the humor in it to lighten it when needed. I also like the fact that there are consequences for Meg's actions. I really hate it when something big happens and then all the consequences are ignored or forgiven too easily.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As always awesome review Jenny. I totally love the idea of getting back at someone still the consequences of the actions don't look so good after its all said and done. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Revenge certainly can be a Pandora's Box! It's so easy to get caught up in the desire for vengeance (especially when you're a character in a book...hopefully, as a real person, you stop yourself before you do something stupid. Or not.). Love this premise!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That cover just creeps me out for some unknown reason. I love the show Revenge and every now and then these books that have revenge as a main plot line, pick my interest real quick. I agree with you that it can quickly get out of control though and you just get so caught up in it that it's hard to differ right from wrong. Before-revenge-Meg seems like a girl I could be friends with though. I'm intrigued thanks to your review, but I'm still not 100% sure as for if it's my TBR material. I really liked Burn for Burn and it's kinda similar to it so I'll seek around for some other reviews and then we'll see:)

    By the way, I just wanted to tell you that you're the reason I gave Unraveling a try. I'm so frustrated that I didn't start it sooner, but better late than never, right? :D It was fan-fucking-tastic! Your review just made me so curious and I probably wouldn't have picked it up otherwise. It was amazeballs, thanks Jenny!! Mwah :*

    ReplyDelete
  16. The cover is CREEPY! Although I'm not really into books inspired by the story of the Furies this still sounds very interesting. And it seems that this one was able to deliver lessons and messages effectiely through what the characters had gone through. Lovely review as always, Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can see how Meg would be so easy to identify with, especially with all those foster home experiences. I'm glad the author chose not to put romance in the forefront position and focus on some moral quenstions instead.
    It's great to hear that it shows both actions and consequences and that those consequences don't just disappear. IT sounds like my kind of read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds like a fun read and it's good to hear of a book that focuses more on the characetr development ans their choices and the ramifications thereof rather than on romance. I'm not really that drawn to mythology inspired fiction (though I actually love mythology) but I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh must be a dark YA day. A lot of them popping up. I do think I need to add this one to my wishlist. It really seems to go with the myth of the furies. Black/white in judgement as well as power which corrupts and lends itself to control. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was surprisingly never interested in this one, probably because of the overflow of Greek mythology in novels these days, but you've definitely made me re-think my decision. It sounds like something I'd really enjoy, even the romance, so I might have to try this one after all. Great review, Jenny!(:

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Furies and I haven't been friends lately. I decided to ditch of Fury by Elizabeth Miles, because many rather negative reviews started to pop up on my screen. Then the furies theme in Dreamless by Josephine Angelini wasn't really my thing. But I think I should give these furies another try, in combination with high school? Could be promising!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it when character have to face consequences (especially when they are main characters)!

    AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Furies are always fascinating right? I like that this new spin has some humor and substance. A small spark of romance is nice sometimes, too. The cover is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't think I have paid this one much attention and I'm a tad burnt out on mythology books but the Furies are something a bit different. I may have to consider reading this one in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've seen this book when the cover was revealed but I never actually wanted to read it until reading your review!

    Awesome review, Jenny ♥ Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't know if I would like this one, Jenny. The thought of being so caught up in revenge that you ignore the fact that forgiveness is needed sort of bothers me. I can see you enjoyed this in spite of those issues. I'm still on the fence, though. Lovely review Jenny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ooh I love stories involving the furies! Somehow this completely escaped my notice until now. Meg sounds awesome! I am totally picking this one up when it comes out. Fantastic review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  28. As you know I'm a Greek mythology nerd and while this looks interesting, I'm still not sure about picking it up. The rushed ending makes me nervous but I do like the sound of the heroine. I think I'll stick it on my "maybe" pile. Lovely review as always, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Judging from the synopsis, I assumed this story would be from 3 different POVs. Is that not the case, Jenny?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely review Jenny, I love greek mythology and this sounds like it has solid world building. Despite the rushed ending and concerns I am thinking I want this!

    ReplyDelete