Thursday, April 11, 2013

Review: The Rules

THE RULES
Project Paper Doll #1
Stacey Kade
Young Adult/Light Sci Fi
416 pages
Available April 23rd
Disney Hyperion
Received from publisher via NetGalley for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
1. Never trust anyone.

2. Remember they are always searching.

3. Don’t get involved.

4. Keep your head down.

5. Don’t fall in love.

Five simple rules. Ariane Tucker has followed them since the night she escaped from the genetics lab where she was created, the result of combining human and extraterrestrial DNA. Ariane’s survival—and that of her adoptive father—depends on her ability to blend in among the full-blooded humans in a small Wisconsin town, to hide in plain sight at her high school from those who seek to recover their lost (and expensive) “project.”

But when a cruel prank at school goes awry, it puts her in the path of Zane Bradshaw, the police chief’s son and someone who sees too much. Someone who really sees her. After years of trying to be invisible, Ariane finds the attention frightening—and utterly intoxicating. Suddenly, nothing is simple anymore, especially not the rules…


MY THOUGHTS
The Rules is an outstanding beginning to this new series, delighting us with smart, layered characters who keep us up reading late into the night because we can’t bear to walk away without knowing what facet of them the next chapter will reveal. Though the story itself is intriguing and well-executed, it’s the characters that truly make this book shine, both Ariane and Zane individuals who are hiding in plain sight, wearing masks of insignificance and popularity respectively to cover the fear and loneliness underneath. While we feel utterly connected to both of them from the onset, it’s clear to us with every page that there will always be more about each of them we want to learn, and more time with the two of them together we want to spend.

On the surface, The Rules has a Carrie-esque vibe, with Ariane’s traumatic past fueling her desire to protect the weak from their tormenters and an epically awful group of popular kids seeking to humiliate those who dare cross them through increasingly mortifying pranks. It’s Ariane herself that keeps the similarities strictly superficial though, as she is not one to fall for the pretty falsities that tumble from a serpent’s tongue. She’s incredibly self-aware and highly intelligent, her quick wit repeatedly stunning both Zane and mean girl Rachel into silence, and we find ourselves always smiling, knowing she’s on the offensive even when those targeting her believe her to be on the defensive.

Given this story is told from alternating points of view, we get to spend as much time in Zane’s head as we do Ariane’s, something that allows us to warm to him far faster than we would if we only saw him through her eyes. As a member of the “in-crowd” who has always simply drifted along in Rachel’s wake without any desire or motivation to make waves of his own, Zane is someone it would have been hard for us to really like as a romantic interest for quiet-but-spirited Ariane, but luckily our time with him shows us a boy who bears as many emotional scars as she does. He has a sense of humor to match Ariane’s, each page revealing his sweetness and charm, but it doesn’t take long before both we and Ariane are able to see through the bravado, and it’s nothing short of beautiful to watch as each of them accepts in the other the traits and flaws they like least in themselves.

The Rules is a first installment that’s over entirely too quickly despite its not-insignificant length, a frown contorting our faces unbidden when we reach the last page and realize our time with Ariane and Zane is temporarily at an end. We’re left with the future wide open for our two young protagonists, but instead of feeling incomplete we are nicely satisfied, wishing only that we were gifted with an ability to manipulate time so that we might speed through the months and suddenly find ourselves on the release day for book two.

Rating: 4.5/5 


More on Stacey and her books can be found here:

42 comments:

  1. Love alternating POV's! It's something I especially love in New Adult, but also very much love in YA! Before you gave this book so much praise, I didn't really thought about reading it. Now, I wanna meet Zane..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I really think you'll like this one Danny!

      Delete
  2. I like the sound of this one, Jenny. I like that Ariane isn't as naive as Carrie in believing the lies the popular crowd spew. Both Ariane and Zane are characters that I'd like to get to know better. Great review Jenny. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ariane is no naive little girl thinking the popular girls just want to be nice to her. She knows. I loved that about her:)

      Delete
  3. I read another good review of this, but she didn't like the ending. You don't seem to have a problem with it. I'm glad. I'm looking forward to his one. I wasn't sure about it at first but your review seals the deal for me.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say it's a cliffhanger ending per se, it's just one of those ending where things are just over and you have to wait for the next book. It wasn't abrupt, you just sort of leave in the middle of things.

      Delete
  4. I saw this book around but this is the first review that I'm reading. Wow I really love the sound of it. I like the sound of characters! Ariane sounds really cool. I hope I'll get to read this book. Great review Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved both Ariane and Zane! Ariane especially. She could have been a really frustrating character, but she was awesome:)

      Delete
  5. I like how a lot of books these days are incorporating alternative points of views on their stories. I especially like this when it works well (which is seems to do so in The Rules), but also as it gives you a better understanding of the characters, instead of you having to try and make your own judgments. I wish I had requested a copy of this when I had the opportunity, as the pace and story sounds absolutely fantastic! I will certainly be buying my own copy for sure! Wonderful review Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can honestly say I don't know that I would have liked Zane without being in his head. He didn't quite have the fire I like to see, but once you get his POV you see what's really going on and I couldn't not love him:)

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, Jenny! I'm not sure if this is for me because I know Kade writes very entertaining novels and with this genre I tend to like more serious books. Still, with such a positive recommendation from you, I have to give this a shot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read her Ghost and Goth series, but this book was more serious in nature for sure. Not dark or gritty really, but serious in tone:)

      Delete
  7. I was already pretty excited to read this after reading some fab reviews, but yours really has me itching to get a copy! I love that this has a Carrie vibe; I love that book! Ariane and Zane seem like wonderful characters and I can't wait to meet them. Wonderful review! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!!!! I liked the Carrie vibe too, I was just really glad Ariane was emotionally stronger than Carrie was. There was no taking advantage of her:)

      Delete
  8. While I thought the mean girl was overdone and a bit too stereotypical, I really enjoyed this story! Ariane is a great character -- I particularly like her looking out for those who can't really protect themselves. And I liked the POVs, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, she was over the top, but I didn't mind that. I liked Ariane and Zane too much to be bothered:)

      Delete
  9. I'm not entirely sure yet if I'll read the sequel, but I definitely enjoyed this one. I guess for me it was a little more forgettable, though I did really like Zane and Ariane's characters. Wonderful review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it for the most part Sam! I just really fell in love with Ariane. I couldn't help but root for her:)

      Delete
  10. You liked this one a touch more than me but I think we definitely agree on a lot of stuff. I really like the split POV here and as you had mentioned on my review I don't think I would have liked Zane if I didn't get to BE him for a while in the novel. Also, great comparison to Carrie, it's so true! That's exactly how it felt. Fabulous review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. Zane would have done nothing for me if we only saw him through Ariane's eyes, but I loved getting to know what was going on with him:)

      Delete
  11. I have seen some mixed reviews on this one but I still really want to give it a try. I am glad you liked it. The premises just sounds unique and anymore that is becoming harder and harder to find in the YA genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the premise! I would have loved a little more backstory on how Ariane came to be and some things in the lab, but we may get more with that as the series continues so I can't really complain:)

      Delete
  12. OH wow! That does sound intriguing! What a different spin on a typical scifi!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read another review of this one and realized that there is one thing that would just big me too much

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why haven't I heard of this book before? It sounds really good and the start to what will be a promising new series. I like the fact that there's alternating points of view. It seems that this worked for the story--so that's good, because I've been read a lot of stories lately where they use this device and it didn't work out very well. I will definitely be adding this to my TBR list. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Funny that you and Jenni both mentioned the dual POV being the key in liking and warming to Zane sooner and way more than otherwise. I have never been particularly interested in this series, but you and Jenni usually like the same books as me so it makes me think "maybe?", but I'm not 100% sure. It feels like more of a contemporary book than sci-fi with all that character growth and hiding from everyone. I don't know.. LOL. I think I'll see what everyone thinks of the upcoming books:) Sci-fi is not my most preferable genre either so yeah :D Thanks for sharing, though, Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have this book! I have this book and now I want to devour it! I love this review, Jenny! I new from the synopsis it was something that would intrigue me, but your review blew away my expectations.

    I want to read it now and love it as much as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  17. uhhhhh I want to meet Zane!! And like now!! I didnt even know about this book. Seriously I need more time or my eyeballs so I can catch up with all these titles...and I love shifting POVs so this for sure is going on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never would have been interested in this book if you hadn't given it such a great review. I do like alternating pov's if they are done right.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG Almost 5 stars PLUS a really interesting blurb? SOLD!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmm..not sure if I'll pick this one up. This one does seem to lean towards horror more than dystopian. And I think that the cover is really creepy, especially her eyes. I do remember reading Carrie back in high school (my first and only Stephen King book) and that didn't really grab me all that much.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Love seeing that high rating on a debut series. I will have to check it out if I ever get the time. I am hearing good things about this one. Ahh a Carrie vibe. Gosh it has been a long time since I read Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay, you convinced me. Although I may want to wait for the next before starting this one. It would be disaster if I tried to manipulate time. LOL I also love the sound of the heroine. Love intelligent females! Zane also sounds perfect. So need to read!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, Jenny, you liked this one MUCH more than I did, but I see your points, I really do. I have to agree with you that Ariane is exceptional in that she has such deep understanding of herself AND of others and that she is always ready to stand up for herself and for what's right.
    I guess what bothered me was the strong mean girl theme I simply didn't expect when I picked this up. that part was too disappointing for me, but everything else was great.
    Beautifully written review as usual. I don't know why the rest of us even bother, but I'm sure I told you that already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG!!!! This book sounds freaking AWESOME!! I've never even heard of it! How bad do I suck?! Adding it to my list now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. My review of this one goes up next week! I had a bit of trouble loving it at first but it grew on me and I loved the second half. I really loved the romance in it. The lack of drama in their relationship was very refreshing. I'm also really looking forward to the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jenny, so happy you like this book! All the emotion were awesome! I need to next book ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am so glad you liked this. I have it to read also and now I am really looking forward to it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This sounds like something I would LOVE! Really looking forward to reading it!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just finished this one a few days ago and liked it (although not as much as you). I do have to agree that it's the characters that make this book enjoyable; had either Zane or Ariane been unlikeable, I would probably put this one down. Great review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just requested this on NG and am keeping the fingers crossed! IDK but the cover just SCREAMED out at me and I am happy to see it was a wise choice. Me requesting it that is.
    Can I be honest? Sometimes I dont like reading e arcs or arcs because its just that much longer until their follow up.
    Truly awesome books make me sad when I see their follow up is over a year or more away! I am like "UUUUUHHHHHGGGGGG"
    Have a great Sunday! Its a GAWGEOUS one here in good ol' CT so I'll take the pups out for a walk full of sniffing and barking at the neighbors cat..lolz..

    ReplyDelete
  31. I really loved getting to be in the heads of both Ariane and Zane-I loved their distinct voices and concerns as we dove deeper into the story.

    ReplyDelete