Monday, September 2, 2013

Mini Reviews: Mist + Awaken

MIST
Mist #1
Susan Krinard
Adult Urban Fantasy
384 pages
Tor Books
Available now
Source: Finished copy from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
Centuries ago, all was lost in the Last Battle when the Norse gods and goddesses went to war. The elves, the giants, and the gods and goddesses themselves were all destroyed, leaving the Valkyrie Mist one of the only survivors.

Or so she thought.

When a snowy winter descends upon modern-day San Francisco in June, Mist’s quiet existence starts to feel all too familiar. In quick succession, Mist is attacked by a frost giant in a public park and runs into an elf disguised as a homeless person on the streets…and then the man Mist believed was her mortal boyfriend reveals himself to be the trickster god, Loki, alive and well after all these years.

Loki has big plans for the modern world, and he’s been hanging around Mist for access to a staff that once belonged to the great god Odin. Mist is certain of one thing: Loki must be stopped if there is to be any hope for Earth. But the fight is even bigger than she knows….

Because Loki wasn’t the only god to survive.


MY THOUGHTS 
Mist thrusts us into a modern-day world just starting to feel the influence of figures of Norse mythology, fascinating us from the beginning with gods and goddesses perhaps lesser known than those of their Greek or Roman counterparts, and all the more intriguing for it. As is often the case with first installments of urban fantasy series, this book focuses primarily on world-building and setting up the epic war that hovers ominously on the horizon, leaving us faltering just a touch with some of the Nordic names and terminology which are both hard to pronounce and remember. Additionally, given infamous trickster god Loki is the primary villain, we know from the onset that Mist’s battle with him is not one that will be resolved in this first book, and without a smaller villain or story arc to provide a concrete conclusion, there’s definitely a feeling of unfinished business when we reach the last page.

Despite those drawbacks, Mist proves to be a heroine with infinite potential, the prologue showing us in brutal detail just how vulnerable she can be physically even with the advantages granted to her as a valkyrie, while the rest of the story gives us a glimpse at her strength and her fighter’s spirit. There’s the barest hint of a romance between her and an elf with more secrets and lies in his life than we can almost keep track of, their initial antagonism and slow emotional thaw toward one another piquing our curiosity as we can’t help but wonder how things will continue to develop once a light is shone into the elf’s dark and shadowy corners.

Rating: 3.5/5


Find Susan:



Abandon #3
Meg Cabot
Paranormal Young Adult
343 pages
Scholastic Point
Available now 
Source: Finished copy from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
Death has her in his clutches. She doesn’t want him to let go.

Seventeen-year-old Pierce Oliviera knew by accepting the love of John Hayden, she’d be forced to live forever in the one place she’s always dreaded most: the Underworld. The sacrifice seemed worth it, though, because it meant she could be with the boy she loves.

But now her happiness — and safety — are threatened, all because the Furies have discovered that John has broken one of their strictest rules: He revived a human soul.

If the balance between life and death isn’t fixed, both the Underworld and Pierce’s home back on earth will be wiped away. But there’s only one way to restore order. Someone has to die.

MY THOUGHTS
Awaken starts out strong, returning us to the Underworld and giving us a glimpse of John and Pierce finally working together at the job they both initially fought but now embrace, delighting the part of us that loves mythology and has been dying (no pun intended) all along to see it play a bigger role in this series. Unfortunately though, we’re all too quickly returned the surface and Pierce is once again separated from John, our hope of watching their romance develop in a way it hasn’t the past two books crushed like so much dust. Their seemingly dark bond and the inherent danger that stems from John being lord of the Underworld has been one of the key components drawing our interest, but the connection between them has never quite sparked an emotional reaction, and while this final installment is no doubt an enjoyable read, it doesn’t lock the much-desired connection we’ve been waiting for in place.

Pierce has made progress from the young woman she was in book one, finally content in her relationship with John and no longer so keen to run from him or do things he specifically asks her not to, while at the same time proving she can be every bit as intimidating as he is when those she loves are threatened. Like the romance though, the plot of Awaken leaves a bit to be desired, some problems for both Pierce and John working out quickly and easily, never really testing us heart and soul to see how much we can withstand before we carry the marks of our time with these characters with us forever. The potential for an emotional read is undeniably present, but this series seems more content to stay a touch more superficial, and while it doesn’t fail to entertain in its superficiality, those of us who crave the battle scars caused by a book that challenges us every step of the way can’t help but want more.

Rating: 3.5/5
 
Find Meg:


These books were sent to me by the publisher free of charge for the purpose of a review
I received no other compensation and the above is my honest opinion.

19 comments:

  1. I am glad you liked Mist more than I ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though Mist felt a little unfinished for you I am definitely intrigued by it. I am really digging Norse mythology lately, I think I might have to give this one a try.

    I have the Meg Cabot series and have been waiting for them all to release to start it. I am glad that even though they may not be mind blowingly good that they are still enjoyable reads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mist is something new to me. I have read one book about Norse mythology but it was a really long time ago so I should refresh my memory. I hope that one day someone will write a book about Slavic myths :) Anyhow I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    About Meg Cabot - I used to love her stories about Princess when I was a Princess (only mum's and dad's - but it's something). Now I'm afraid of reading here YA stories. I might give it a try as you have enjoyed this one.
    Great reviews Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally forgot about Meg Cabot's Abandon series. I remember a couple years ago everyone was talking about the first book. I'm sure I have a copy somewhere. I should pick it up sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't heard of Mist before today, but I'm glad that it was a good read for you. Although I don't know much about Norse Mythology, I do think it's very interesting, so I should get to this series soon. The main character sounds wonderful and promising.

    I haven't started Meg Cabot's paranormal series although I've loved a lot of her contemporary novels. It doesn't seem like something that would appeal to me in all honesty and I have seen some very negative reviews for it. I'm glad to hear that the main character has progressed, but it's a shame about you not feeling the connection between her and the love interest.

    Lovely reviews, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love stories that incorporate mythology into them, no matter the origins. There've been a lot of Norse-based stories lately, it seems, which I'm all over. Plus, who doesn't love a good trickster god?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm. It's been a while since I've picked up an urban fantasy. Even though I don't know that Mist is the best choice, I do kinda want some UF now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to see that Mist is promising. I'm not sure I'll be reading it soon, but I'm curious to see how the series unfolds. I have Cabot's first book in this trilogy, so it's a little disappointing to see that the conclusion wasn't as satisfying as hoped. I'll probably skip it, in that case. Thanks for the helpful reviews, Jenny!(:

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love UF books, I truly do. I agree--the main focus is on world building. You have so many books to write with character growth and whatnot and the first one really sets the tone for the world. I think Nordic names wouldn't be a problem for me--used to them since we have Norway and Sweden as practically our neighbours. I think a Nordic take on UF sounds awesome and quite rfreshing!

    Wow, the final installment didn't really make you emotional romance wise? Hmmm.. :( Glad to hear that the MC does show some growth of her own though and I'm happy that you enjoyed it in general. I'd love to pick this series up someday:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm more curious about Mist than I am Awaken. I can see Mist's potential, but I am unsure about Awaken. I think I'll have to see how that one goes as the story progresses. At least you have given me a good feel for both. Thanks for the twofer today! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, I forgot about that Meg Cabot series, I remember liking the first one...:) Lovely reviews Jenny. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. IT sounds like it is skimming the emotional depths just not going there. While I probably wouldn't like that very much I bet it is a nice break for some :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Since I love San Francisco, I'm drawn to Mist. I love how the synopsis describes winter beginning in June - that really is true. And I keep meaning to read that Meg Cabot series. Although I do tire of Meg Cabot easily.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not a huge fan of Nordic mythology, but I do love Urban Fantasy. I usually make allowances for the first book in the series because I know it's just the setup. So even if I have a lower rating, I'll usually stick with the series.

    I haven't yet read anything by Meg Cabot, but it's unfortunate the ending is a bit lackluster. Glad to see you enjoyed overall, though.

    Wonderful mini review, Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved Greek mythology. You know those stories always manage to capture me Jenny. And I haven't read a good UF-Adult book in a while. As far as the other series, I have the first book sitting on my shelves. I know.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmmm...I'm not so much into mythology as I once was. I have the Cabot series on my shelf waiting for me to be in the right mood.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I actually liked AWAKEN the best of the three. But I agree that I had a hard time emotionally connecting to these two. Probably because of the strange and quick beginning to their romance - and you're right, it never really evened out on the end. Pierce drove me insane, but I too thought she was strongest here. This won't be my favorite series, but I was satisfied with the conclusion. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've heard good things about Mist, and even with the unfinished business, I think it sounds like a book I'd enjoy. I need to read Awaken too, I have a copy but just haven't made time for it. I agree with you that the series doesn't really touch my emotions too deeply, but I've had fun with it so far. Glad you enjoyed it even if it didn't knock your socks off. Great reviews! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Definitely agree about Awaken's superficiality (or rather that for the series as a whole.) Though all easy reads (and I thought Awaken was a better effort), I expect so much more from Cabot and ended up being quite disappointed with this trilogy.

    ReplyDelete