Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Waiting on Wednesday: The Beast Is An Animal

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking The Spine and is a fun way to see what books other bloggers just can't wait to get their hands on!


THE BEAST IS AN ANIMAL
Peternelle van Arsdale
Young Adult/Fantasy
Releases March 2017 from Margaret K. McElderry Books

From Goodreads:

Alys was seven when the soul eaters came to her village.

These soul eaters, twin sisters who were abandoned by their father and slowly morphed into something not quite human, devour human souls. Alys, and all the other children, were spared—and they were sent to live in a neighboring village. There the devout people created a strict world where good and evil are as fundamental as the nursery rhymes children sing. Fear of the soul eaters—and of the Beast they believe guides them—rule village life. But the Beast is not what they think it is. And neither is Alys.

Inside, Alys feels connected to the soul eaters, and maybe even to the Beast itself. As she grows from a child to a teenager, she longs for the freedom of the forest. And she has a gift she can tell no one, for fear they will call her a witch. When disaster strikes, Alys finds herself on a journey to heal herself and her world. A journey that will take her through the darkest parts of the forest, where danger threatens her from the outside—and from within her own heart and soul.

This feels a little bit like the movie The Village, and that in and of itself makes it intriguing. Any society that has strict rules like this fascinates me because I want nothing more than to ask why those rules are in place find out what happens if one of them is broken. Curiosity killed the cat and all that ;-) It sounds like Alys might buck the rigid system of her village a bit, and I know I'll be right there with her trying to figure out what's going on with the soul eaters and the Beast. Also, the title has me asking a rather obvious question: Is the Beast an animal? Or something else? I NEED TO KNOW!

*shakes fist at March for being so far away*

15 comments:

  1. I've actually not heard of The Village, so I don't know your comparison! I have heard of this book though - I got it from Edelweiss! You should check it out, I'm sure it's still available for request. I hope you enjoy this book when you get the chance to read it!

    Have a fabulous week, Jenny. :)

    Check out my WoW post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh interesting! I was actually a fan of The Village! I remember reviews were harsh and fans weren't pleased, so I felt like the odd duck out for liking it! LOL! This will be one I keep an eye on just for that reason then! Hope you enjoy it once you read it!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had not heard of this one till now but I'm so very intrigued, totally adding it to the GR list!
    Thank you for discovering new books for me, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh! This one does sound promising and similar to The Village. That cover is fantastic...so ominous! Great pick, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this cover! Hurry up March! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool cover. Don't worry March will be right around the corner. I did love The Village so I would be interested in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how gorgeous! I hope you'll enjoy, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny, I immediately thought "Another Beauty and the Beast retelling" but then I read the description and it sounds much, much more creepier than that. I don't think I watched the Village but I heard about it. Just let me know if I need to keep the lights on if I read this book. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had me at beast and forest. I've changed so much. Used to stay away from this kind of thing but now I crave it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds fantastic! I love the cover, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah it does sound or feel like the Village..great find Jenny. I like the cover on this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty & haunting cover. Sounds interesting too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like it may be too much for my wimpy heart to handle but I am so curious about this one now and will be looking out for your review, Jenny! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds super alluring to me^^ I love the mystery of people living like this, just like you. And you just KNOW that someone is going to break a rule or two during this story XD Awesome pick my friend! xx

    ReplyDelete